Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rehab your water from boring to fabulous!

About a month ago I went to the doctor for a check-up. My blood work came back showing a decline in my kidney function. This was strange and alarming! Strange because my husband and I live a fairly healthy lifestyle. We work out 5+ time a week & eat healthy (usually) so I didn't expect any abnormalities. Scary, of course, because you never want to hear that any of your organs are not functioning properly.

Thankfully, the diagnosis was something that was easily treated.
What was the diagnosis?

It was Chronic Dehydration. 

At first I found that hard to believe because I had myself convinced that I was healthy but, after further consideration, it made sense. My past drinking habit was to gravitate to coffee because.... well... because I love coffee alright! I only drank water when I was at the gym which was only serving to replenish the water I sweat out and did nothing to add hydration beyond that. So I pulled up my boot straps and made a resolution to drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. How did I do it? Well I'm glad you asked because, in the beginning, it wasn't easy. Water is just plain .... well plain! While adding, almost anything, to your water simply adds calories that are unnecessary and, usually, unhealthy (sodium, sugar, sugar substitutes, caffeine, etc.).

I happened across a pin on Pinterest (my new-found love!) about creating your own Spa Water by infusing it with fruit and herbs. I've been to a few spas in my day and I have had the pleasure to have a flavored spa water. They are always so refreshing and delicious so I decided to give it a try and now I do it daily!!! Here is what I've done to make it simple to enjoy infused spa water on a daily basis:

  • I went to Walmart and purchased two 32 ounce sipper water bottles that I planned to drink daily.  (2 x 32 = 64 ounces) 
  • I also purchased oranges and strawberries.
  • Cut the oranges into half slices and drop two into each bottle. Take a strawberry and slice almost all the way through, so the nob of it holds the strawberry together but the cuts expose the flesh of the strawberry, and drop one into each of the bottles as well. (Of course you can do just orange, just strawberry or any other combination. The pin I originally followed, linked here, has some great recipes.)
  • Fill the bottles with water and refrigerate or drink! The longer the fruit stays in the bottle the better the infusion but, at least with orange, the essence is there immediately. 



I now drink at least 64 ounces of water each day and am very excited to try some other combinations. I am planning on doing cucumber next and definitely going to try some herbs as well.

What flavor combinations have you tried or are going to try? I'd love to hear how they worked!

Cheers! Erica Jensen, President and Co-Owner of Clean Right Co.


No comments:

Post a Comment