I love a neat and tidy refrigerator. When you open the door you can see everything it holds, at a glance. But in my years as a cleaning professional I have opened many a fridge that looks like a bomb went off in it. Therefore, I would like to share some tips and tricks that I use to keeping my fridge neat and clean.
- Put larger items towards the back and smaller items toward the front. This way, you can see everything your fridge holds without wading through it all. This will also ensure that some food items don't get "lost" at the back of the fridge which is a waste of money and would lead to a smelly situation.
- Keep like items together. I like to keep my dairy together, condiments together, etc.
- Put all condiments and sauces in the fridge doors. Group your sauces, dressings and condiments and put them in separate areas of the door to your fridge.
- Use see through containers. By using containers you can see into, you will know what is in it without having to open the container.
- Stack items. Take the time to put like items together and stack them properly. This will also make it easier to find the items you need, when you need them.
- Clean it out often. Cleaning the fridge can be a chore if you don't do it often. I take a moment to wipe each shelf, crisper and cubbie just before I load my groceries into the fridge. I also go through and dispose of any expired items so I don't stack my fresh groceries on top of old. This keeps your fridge clean and you shouldn't need to do a 'deep clean' on it. If something gets spilled, wipe it up immediately Waiting will only make it harder to clean.
Written by Erica Jensen, President of Clean Right Company, www.cleanrightco.com