Friday, September 21, 2012

Making Time

Business, school, gym, eat & sleep. Get up the next day and do it all again!


In today's society our lives are filled to the brim with To Do's. It seems there is never enough time in the day to accomplish everything you need to get done. So you take those tasks and put them on tomorrow's list of To Do's which creates a backlog of tasks that just never seem to get done. So what can we do to make time for those extra tasks and maybe a little time for ourselves?

Here are a few tips that I've found useful in my own, busy life:

  1. Get up at least 30 minutes earlier: I find I can get so much done first thing in the morning. The phones haven't started ringing yet, staff isn't at services yet and the world seems to still be asleep. This is the time that I take to return emails, print things, make my list of tasks that need done that day, etc. 
  2. Lists: I make a list for everything! I have a weekly To Do list and a daily To Do list. Once I have my list written out I make a plan on how to accomplish each task in the most efficient way. Example: I have to pick up supplies from Grainger, see my staff at a service in the valley and give an estimate on the south hill at 1pm. I start off seeing my staff in the valley, then go to Grainger on my way back into town, then hit the freeway and go to the South Hill. Not only does this save time it also saves gas.
  3. Don't over-commit: Try not to commit yourself to things that are not that important or that you are not that interested in. Once you become over booked, you become over worked and the stress and anxiety will only make you feel even more out of control. It is very difficult to say no but, if there's one thing I've learned, you can't say yes to everyone. 
  4. Go to bed at least 30 minutes later: I'm not saying deprive yourself of sleep because you must get your sleep in order to function properly but, if you can, try to stay up a little later so you can stretch your day a bit more. For example: Let's say you are use to going to bed at 9pm (like me!). Try to stay up till 9:30. This, coupled with the 30 minutes you gained from getting up earlier, gives you an entire extra hour. That's enough time to have dinner with a friend or family, go to the gym, or just take the time for yourself!
  5. Don't try to do it all on your own!: Know when to ask for help. If you have a spouse or kids, ask them to chip in on the household chores like cleaning or cooking. If that doesn't work for you than hire a professional to take on some of your work load. You can hire someone to do just about anything for you. Lawn care service, personal assistant service, and of course house cleaning service
I hope my ideas are helpful in making more time for you in your busy life. Don't forget to take a breath and count your blessings. Today will soon be over and tomorrow is another day filled with promise... and things to do!

Erica Jensen President, Clean Right Company
(509) 534-3343 phone

No comments:

Post a Comment